From Posters to Web 3.0: A Cultural History of Hungarian Advertising
04-11 August 2019
Among the Central European countries, Hungary has a well developed advertising industry with
sophisticated media research information systems and expenditure monitoring systems too. As a
series of ten presentations, the course is designed to describe the historical development of the
Hungarian advertising industry from a marketing and semiotic point of view.
(1) Posters and Advertising Photography between World War I and World War II;
(2) Advertising in Soviet-type Economies and Economic Systems;
(3) The Special Discourse of Hungarian Television Commercials in the 1970s and 1980s: the
Golden Age; (4) Advertising and Public Relations in Transition from Communism: the Rise of
Western-style Advertising in Hungary (1989–1994);
(5) The Web 2.0 Era – the Digital Advertising Market: Search Engine Advertising and Social Media
(6) The Web 3.0 Era: Native Distribution Ad Formats and Content-based Advertising;
(7) The Connection between Hungarian Ads and the Country Image;
(8) Corporate and Brand Identity Design: Case Studies.